Wednesday, August 8, 2007

quotes about atheism...

While we're on the subject of atheism - I was watching a documentary called "The History of Disbelief" and I found some of the quotes so intriguing, I thought I would share them. :) Maybe you will understand a little bit more of where I'm coming from.

"So far as I can remember, there's not one word in the gospels in praise of intelligence."
-Bertrand Russell

"Generally speaking, errors in religion are dangerous. Those in philosophy are just ridiculous."
-David Hume

"If we go back to the beginning, we shall find that ignorance and fear created the gods, that fancy, enthusiasm or deceit adorned them, that weakness worships them, that credulity preserves them and that custom, respect, and tyranny support them in order to make the blindest of men serve their own interests." ... "The ignorance of nature gave birth to the gods, the knowledge of nature is calculated to destroy them."
-Baron D'Holbach
1723 - 1789

No comments: