Tuesday, August 7, 2007

people must be entertained...

Last night I watched the movie "The Gladiator". It's amazing to watch movies like that since I found this new way of thinking. I have been priding myself on not watching movies that just entertain. I don't like to watch pointless stories of another world to satisfy my entertainment hunger. For that, I watch the scientific programming I speak so fondly of, or get my mind fucked by a good old fashioned documentary. But most human beings find themselves lost and in love with the idea of a "good movie". Something entertaining has always been favored over something educational. This has most recently been on my mind since all my friends can be found "at the movies" wasting their precious time and $$$ on pure and mindless entertainment.

Gladiator was a little bit different in the sense that it had really good points and life lessons that you could gather from it. I don't know what really good points and life lessons you will gain from "Transformers". If you have seen the movie, (Gladiator, that is) you may understand what I got out of it. There is a part in the movie where they are trying to decide if it is a good idea to bring the gladiator battles backed to Rome, since the previous Emperor had banned them. The winning argument was that "the people must be entertained". So, the battles were brought back to life. During the battles, one Gladiator took the crowd by storm. He ravaged and killed and survived to be able to face the Emperor. He won the crowd, more than the Emperor himself. He eventually overthrew an Emperor's reign just by being popular enough in an entertainment setting.

My question is - how can something like popularity be able to take over an entire Empire? Think about that. That's like a really big celebrity known for conquering in an entertainment forum taking over the country. That's like - I don't know - Arnold Schwarzenegger running for President. And winning. Isn't it crazy how the United States is in the same predicament that the people in Rome where? The people in Rome just wanted to be entertained. The people in the United States just want to be entertained. The people in Rome were entertained by blood, guts and murder. The people in the United States are entertained by the idea of blood, guts and murder. It's just not real, and that's the difference. At least the Roman slave who overthrew the Emperor actually accomplished something. He defeated many enemies in battle. He conquered many armies in his career as a general. All Arnold did was PRETEND. He pretended that he killed Aliens. And if he could over throw Bush's empire, he would. Thank GOD he is from Austria and not able to run. What would the country come to if the people elected a celebrity?

No comments: