Monday, September 17, 2007

on the human level... (family)

Family
What is family? The idea of family is not something that is put on the human level. We should, though. What do I owe you because you are my related to me? Who says that I have to be loyal and unconditionally loving just because we happen to share the same blood line? Why do people pressure you to keep family ties so close? On the human level, I don't owe anyone anything. If you are an important person in my life, that is because you have worked hard to get here. It is because you have done something for me, human to human. You have been there for me when I needed you. I have done the same. You have been the one to catch me when I fall. You have greatly benefited my life by being in it. And I appreciate you for that. But when someone treats you like crap, abuses you and puts you through hell, and then expects you to love them and cherish them because they are related to you - I call bullshit! On the human level, I don't owe you anything! You are not important to me because you have scarred me. I have this rule, that when friends scar me, and I can't seem to find a reason to keep them around - I don't. I can find new friends! There is no use keeping people around that are only going to bring you down. So why can't the same rule apply to family? Why can't I tell my mom and step-dad to fuck off because they practically ruined my life? Why should I keep them around when friends I have cut off have done way less to hurt me? So I didn't. As an example to the world, that putting things on the human level is possible - I cut off my parents. Now don't be afraid to do the same for those that have caused you monstrous amounts of pain.

No comments: